Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Talent

It's been a little while since I've really posted on here and I thought... This is a perfect photo to link up with communal global. I've seen this wall around in other people's pictures but I've never actually been out there myself until I stumbled upon it on the way to see Damien Jurado last Friday night. 

Some people are incredibly talented... How does someone learn that they have the ability to use a can of spray paint this way? I'd look like a bumbling fool. While I like to draw - this is an art form completely on its own. I love it. I've also decided my husband has become the "stand in front of the graffiti so I can take your picture" guy

Anyhow, I've been having a "crisis of vision" lately... not really a crisis, just an "i don't know what my vision is" or the direction I'm headed when it comes to photography. Thankfully, I'm not alone. I read a lot of other blog posts, facebook statuses, tweets from photographer's asking other people what words would describe their work... Then I read someone else's photography tagline that said "Specializing in newborns, children, families, lifestyle, weddings, couples, seniors." And I thought, "that's not really specializing in anything". 

And I thought, "That sounds like me". 

So I'm just wondering what makes my heart happy when I'm taking pictures? What makes my work unique? What's my niche? I think the main reason I struggle is because I decided to pick this "hobby".... "job" ... up later in life than I think most photographers did. Most of the ones I meet are sweet little pixies still in their early 20's... So I'm a little late to the game. 

I think the only answer is... for a while perhaps I have to feel like a bumbling fool. I don't know that anyone picked up a spray can and knew they had art of this magnitude coursing through their veins... but they could see it. Someday. In the future they'd be painting exactly the way they'd envisioned when they first started.


This art's been up on the wall in Tacoma for a little while now. I wonder what the artist has created since then.


1 comment:

  1. Great post, Christina. First of all, you are not late! You have been honing this and you do a great job! I have seen you improve and I will tell you what I keep telling myself is that you'll only get better :)

    The question of "what is my niche" has been bothering me for a long time, too. Can't tell you I have an answer, but I can comiserate. For myself, I know it has to do with what draws me in, but for me that is a lot of different styles ;)

    Keep it up! You're doing great!!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!