Friday, August 26, 2011

On Walden Pond

So my life has been filled, as of late, mostly with a little chaos and a sprinkling of disorder. Now that my whole family knows I suppose it is fair to say that my husband and I put in an offer on a house (!!) My first thought is "Scratch off #2. Own a Home & #23. Feel like a grown-up (because good grief! That's a lotta moola!!)" However...

We were bought out. It was the "Home of the week" and someone else made a cash offer that the owner couldn't resist. Boo.

I could probably give you a million reasons why we NEEDED that house; why it HAD to be the perfect one for us. But in truth - I was anxious that it was a little more than we were hoping to spend and simply put... It wasn't the house for us.

And now we're left in the wake of things. The dreaming of more. All the things we could have and do. "Life would just be better if we were in this house..."

I need a respite. I need a break from all of that "want". Yesterday my respite came away from blogging and keeping a strict "blogger schedule..."

And, a trip to "Walden Pond"... In truth, I went down to the lake, took out a canoe, brought the dog along and ran the canoe aground in a secluded spot...

I brought with me some books fully intending to read a little bit of each of them but found I got lost in the one I needed most: "Living Simply: Choosing less in a world of more"

Within Heim's book she quotes sixteenth-century French writer Francois Rabelais - "For he who can wait, everything comes in time." Why can't I believe that? Why do I rush into wanting more more more...

Last Friday I listed things I loved and it lifted my spirits to remember there are good things in my life. But, they are THINGS after all... Are there ways I can simplify and eliminate some of this need for "more" or "bigger and better"? 

I love my family. My husband and all those extended.
I love the smell of the fresh air coming right off the lake.
I love the joy that came from the guy who launched his boat, blasted his country music & shouted "Yee-haw" as he sped off.
I love my puppy who loves me and just wants to be close - even if I'm reading.
I love the sound of the crashing waves - trying to lull me to sleep.
I love the strength I build in my arms when I have to paddle the canoe by myself (haha... that one's a little sarcastic)

But seriously - these are all GOD-given "things" that are more perfect and lovely than anything I can buy...

"Our life is frittered away by detail. Simplify. Simplify."

button2

9 comments:

  1. I loved this post, I think we could be great friends! :)
    We also have a green canoe and if I'm in it, I would be reading. And to simplify, that has been my thoughts for the last couple of years!

    Thank you for coming over to my place and leaving sweet words. I'm so glad you came, so I could be led back here.

    I'm going to go hit your follower button now,
    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hmm...thanks for the book idea. Sounds like one I should be reading too. I always love your perspective in life and through the lens!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I will have to look up that book. I am struggling with the same concept.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "For he who can wait, everything comes in time." Why can't I fully buy into that quote either. Sounds like God's timing is a bit different from ours. A lot different actually.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yes, i totally get this. like...i could have written it myself. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. ah, a good reminder indeed. i like to sit in our canoe & read also...while the hubs fishes. but i think he's the one that comes away with sore arms, i get easily sidetracked and forget to paddle. ;) [thanks for stopping by & for your kind words.]

    ReplyDelete
  7. love this... reading it made me feel calm and relaxed.... or maybe it was your self-portrait :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful pics and love what you've written. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautifully put! Sounds like you had some wonderful' me time' to think and reflect.
    Hope you have a great great week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!!